Thursday, September 04, 2014

Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
by Beth Revis


A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Razorbill

________________________________________

My Review

I feel to need to start this review by stating that I am NOT a very big fan of Sci-Fi, and so it took me a while to pick this particular book up. And I only did so because of the slight dystopian flavor to it. 

Sure, most of the Sci-Fi aspects of it (the descriptions of the ship and its engines, the technicalities and the physics of the thing) were, well... skimmed over quite quickly, I'll admit it. LOL. I also skimmed over the parts in which Amy was asleep and kept dreaming of the past. All those things were not of my interest at all. I only cared for what happened IN the ship. And THAT was pure awesomeness.

The mysteries, the weirdness, the beliefs of the people aborad the ship Godspeed were fascinating to me. I I read the whole thing in one afternoon. And the hardcover edition is anything but light. XD

The romance was there, sure, but it wasn't the center of attention. And that was just fine. The most important thing in Across the Universe is not Amy and Elder getting together, but what they DISCOVER and decide to CHANGE together. That is what it's all about. 

I could not believe some of the things Eldest dared to do, and hid from everyone. Most of them, sure, I saw coming from a mile away (the 'Season' and 'Phydus'), but others (the false stars, the uranium)... wow. I could not have predicted those. And I so love being surprised. *-*

All in all, I am so glad to have given this baby a shot. Oh, and make sure to check my review of Glow, to be posted next week. I started it the minute I closed Across the Universe, and though they may be somewhat similar, they are, in fact, VERY DIFFERENT. And Glow was just as awesome, I assure you! But in a creepier way. ;P

4 comments:

  1. I just love the cover of this book! I'm glad to hear that the romance didn't overshadow the plot.
    I have yet to read this, but I am looking forward to reading the "mysteries, the weirdness, the beliefs"! Hehee. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really care for sci-fi that much as well which is the main reason why I have not started this series. I have books 1 & 2 as ebooks, but have yet to read them. Awesome review :) But I seriously want to start this serires!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am usually not a big scifi person either, but loved this one. I haven't read the 2nd or 3rd yet though.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this one last year and it was a wonderful surprise.
    The people on the ship kind of scared me and the 3 causes of discord.
    Good book still

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read what you have to say. :)